Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Don't Break the Chain!

I don't know how, where and when this started. As far as I can remember, I started receiving chain letters when I was in grade four. Chain letters then were written in 1/4 sheet of intermediate paper. As usual, bad luck "awaits you" if you break the chain.

Today, chain letters have evolved with the technology. Today's generation don't get chain letters in 1/4 sheet of paper but through emails and cellular phones. These messages vary from a simple story with a "promise" and "bad luck" attached at the end, to pictures of Jesus or Mary, still with promises and bad lucks. The stories scare you sometimes.

When I was in college, our Theology teacher included an exam question that was related to chain letter. I think it was mid-term exam. The question is in the context of "what will you do if yoy received a chain letter". The sample chain message was also written in the exam. I answered it with all honesty! My answer? *shocks!* I wrote that I would try to comply the chain letter, i won't lose anything! yikes! My teacher's reaction? What do you expect! He was frustrated *sorry!* After talking about faith in class, he still got that answer from me. *Winks* my fault... perhaps, i wasn't listening... perhaps, it was really my "faith" then.

After more than ten years, I still get chain letters. But i just disregard them. I don't normally forward the message. If I do (if I like the story), it's always minus the "promise" at the end of the message.

Have you ever complied any of these chain letters? How many of the "beautiful promises" were realized? Did bad things happen after breaking the chain? If our faith in God is authentic, we'll realize the lies these chain letters bring. If good things happen, they are bound to happen not because of the chain letter. If bad things happen it's not a consequence of breaking the chain! Sometimes bad things really happen. For me, through these we are able to appreciate the blessings we have in life. It happens to help us see God's goodness.

Things happen with purpose. God loves us and He has plans for us. And no chain letters or messages, no matter how "hich-tech" the way it's sent, can break God's love for us.

So what will you do with this chain letter in your Inbox? Delete it or, well you'll get bad luck! You can't receive messages anymore because you're inbox is full! Hahahaha

3 comments:

PJ van Zyl said...

I agree and do the same

huggy said...

i agree what you said sis.. i always get them since like grade 4 which mnade me cry and i remember the nun who scolded us that don't believe in such things lalu na if badluck ang nilalaman ng chain letter... i still do get chain letters but i disregard them.. gee lalu na sa text it's just a waste of money and time sending those kinds of nonsense msgs :D

Anonymous said...

i used to forward immediately those chain letters that contains threat saying 'you will receive bad luck for 7 years' or the like and some promises like 'true love will knock into your doors this 12 midnight'. Remembering those times, i laugh at myself...how childish.

But now, i still forward chain letters. But i only do if it's worth sharing with others...