Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The sixth sense

The busiest times of my work is the opening and closing of a semester. Summer classes have ended and preparations for the new school year begin.

Despite the busy morning, I’m thankful that I made it to the noon mass at the Sacred Heart chapel. And it’s also a blessing that I am writing my “retreat” now.

Today, we celebrate The Visitation. Perhaps, majority of us, Christians, know what happened during The Visitation. For those who don’t, I would suggest that you read Luke 1:39-47. 

In any masses I attend, I always look forward to the Homily. For me, the Homily helps me understand the Gospel and help me realize many things as a person and as a Christian. Specifically, Fr. Jun’s Homily taught me one thing that I greatly need today and the days to come.

How do we see the world? If I may quote Fr. Jun, “We see the world with our eyes”… “We experience the physical world with our senses: eyes, tongue, ears, hands, nose”. But the world is not all the time experienced using our senses. Different people may view a thing in different ways. Many, if not all, define an object based on their own experiences in the past. If they were hurt before, they learn not to trust too easily. Others, who had a more happy life could trust and love more easily than the others. Some people may view life with fear but others with great openness.

Well, the example went on and on. But what is more important is the lesson drawn out from these examples. People see things differently, and let’s accept that. In accepting, let us learn to be more open and more understanding if the other person is different from us. Let us learn to appreciate our difference, and understand why they view things the way they do.

All these made me pause and think

Tomorrow, we will implement, for the first time on a regular semester, the automated student evaluation system. I have used the system this summer, and I don’t find major problems using the system. I understand the system flow because I was part of those who initially planned for the system, and I am involved in the evaluation of the system. This afternoon, I have received calls from people who had difficulties in using the system. And there, I remember Fr. Jun’s Homily.

Slowly, I opened my mind and understand their troubles in using the system. Instead of getting disappointed, I tried to think of a better way to help these fellow teachers. And I thank God for the grace of understanding, of being more patient. This is an experience where I didn’t make use of my physical senses.

No comments: