Monday, May 01, 2006

The Songs of my Heart

I love music. I love to sing.

But I am selective. I don't just go for any song. I like songs that I can relate to, or that talks about what I feel.


I love Barbra Streisand's songs especially "Lessons to be learned" . I like James Taylor and Don Mcleans songs. They speak of life.

When I was 10 or 11, I remember being moved by these lines in a christian song:

"Here is my heart, here is my mind
Here is my soul, here is my whole self"


When I was in college, the first time I heard of "Paghahandog Ng Sarili" I fell in love with the song! And so I had collections of Bukas Palad Cassettes before.

The songs speak of life, of God and of myself. They give name to the feelings that were unknown to me before. If I don't know what words to say in a prayer, I sing the songs. Whenever I am in pain, I love to sing "O Hesus, Hilumin Mo".

These songs are prayers. I remember one Jesuit priest asked us to sing with the choir. Songs are also prayers. Indeed!

I own one Himig Heswita CD now "Dwelling Place". I play it before I go to sleep, or before I set myself to prayer. It gives me a sense of peace and composition. And sometimes, it puts me to sleep :)

"How Lovely is you Dwelling Place, Oh Lord!"

1 comment:

MECA said...

A listening heart is a blessing. There is no greater grace than this, becuase He talks with His heart and use the language of the heart. If you don't have a listening heart, you will fail to capture what He wants to tell you. Savor, ruminate, relive and remember this retreat. It will accompany you for life... as all encounter with God will.
--meca