Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Holy Week Retreat '06

Sacred Heart Novitiate Grounds
The serene place reminds me of my beautiful experience with God


April 12, 2006, Holy Week Retreal ‘06
Sacred Heart Novitiate, Novaliches Quezon City

We arrived at the venue in the afternoon and after a short time for registration, we went up and found our rooms. RM 315. This was my room. I’m not used to sleeping alone in a room, much more in a new place. But there was no turning back. This is a silent retreat. I cannot disturb other’s peace and silence just because I’m not used to be alone in a room. I have to get used to this and enjoy the moment all by myself.


This was my first holy week retreat, and my first silent retreat away from Zamboanga. I felt excited, yet uncertain about how the retreat will go about. I didn’t know how to get through this silent retreat. But I prayed for God’s grace to help me through and make this retreat a fruitful one.


Why am I here?

It was all of a coincidence, or shall a say “a divine plan”. I have heard about holy week retreats two years ago. I was even invited last year, but I declined. I gave alibis just to convince them I am not going.

Last January, during a planning session in the department, Maureene told me about her experience in one of the Holy Week retreats. Listening to her stories, I was motivated to sign up for the Holy week retreat. The week after, our Formation Coordinator approached me if I am interested to join the Holy Week retreat. I wrote my intentions and sent it to Fr. Jun Viray, our Formation Director. And, finally! I got a note saying I was one of those who were chosen to attend the Holy Week Retreat.

Reason #1. It’s an opportunity to go to Manila for free!!! Yes! The school will pay for the airfare to manila, and of course a little allowance for us.


Reason #2. Maybe, this is an opportunity for me to bring back my religiosity and spirituality. Honestly, it seemed that I have distance myself from God. I have questions in life. Maybe it had something to do with my faith. Maybe… maybe…


Reason #3. This is one way to be with “myself” again. The pressures at work and at home make me forget to think about myself, my feelings, the things I want in life. I forgot to “listen” and to feel.


Reason # 4. This is vacation! Break! Break! Break!


But all these reasons changed…

No comments: